If then, we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him.
After the passing of your loved one, Please contact the Funeral Home of your choice to handle the necessary arrangements.
The Funeral Home will contact the church office to schedule a date and time for the Funeral Mass. The family is also welcome to contact the Church for information.
Once the date and time have been determined, the coordinator will contact the family member to schedule a time to meet. Prior to the meeting, a Funeral Planning packet may be picked up at the church office to assist you with picking readings and music for the Mass.
You may also pick the readings and music from the selections listed below. After you have made your selections, you may e-mail them to the Funeral coordinator, Laura Spaugh.
In every celebration for the dead, the Church attaches great importance to the reading of the word of God. The readings proclaim to the assembly the Paschal Mystery, teach remembrance of the dead, convey the hope of being gathered together again in God’s kingdom, and encourage the witness of Christian life. Above all, the readings tell of God’s designs for a world in which suffering and death will relinquish their hold on all whom God has called his own. A careful selection and use of readings from Scripture for the funeral rites will provide the family with an opportunity to hear God speak to them in their needs, sorrows, fears, and hopes.
In the celebration of the Liturgy of the Word at the funeral liturgy, the Biblical readings may not be replaced by non-biblical readings. But during prayer services with the family non-biblical readings may be used in addition to readings from Scripture.
– Order of Christian Funerals, General Introduction, nos. 22-23
For more information or to schedule a Funeral Mass, contact Carlos Briones at 480-981-2021; ext 216 email: email@example.com
Funeral Liturgy and Music Outline
Families may choose music for the following parts of Funeral Liturgies at Holy Cross Catholic Church. Music for other portions of the Mass, in general, are selected by the pastor and music director from the Roman Missal.
Preparation of the Gifts Hymn
The Hymns listed below do not comprise an exhaustive list of hymns that may be used for Funeral Liturgies at Holy Cross Catholic Church. Families may choose other hymns, so long as they are selected from a Catholic Hymnal. Hymns may be used as the Processional, Preparation of the Gifts, Communion or Recessional hymn as desired by the family, although it will be noted below if particular hymns are best suited for selected parts of the liturgy. Some hymns have been suggested for funerals which are held during particular seasons of the Liturgical Calendar, such as Advent or Easter. In most cases, it will be best to use these hymns only during the suggested seasons.
Abide with Me
Adoro Te Devote/Godhead Here in Hiding
All Is Well with My Soul
As the Deer Longs
Be Thou My Vision
Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus (Advent)
Creator of the Stars of Night (Advent)
Day is Done
For the Fruits of This Creation
Forty Days and Forty Nights (Lent)
Gift of Finest Wheat (Communion)
How Firm a Foundation
I Heard the Voice of Jesus
I Know that My Redeemer Lives! (Easter)
Jerusalem, My Happy Home
Jesus. Joy of Our Desiring
Lord of All Hopefulness
Lord, Who at Thy First Eucharist (Communion)
O Sacrament Most Holy (Communion)
O Sacred Head, Surrounded (alternate verses – Lent)
Of the Father’s Love Begotten (Advent, Christmas)
Shepherd of Souls
Sing, My Tongue, the Savior’s Glory (Lent)
Soul of My Savior
The Church’s One Foundation
The Glory of These Forty Days (Lent)
The King of Love My Shepherd Is
There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy
Ubi Caritas (plainchant)
Veni, Creator Spiritus (Easter)
Please choose one of the Responsorial Psalms from those listed as D1-D10, page 35-44, in the book called Through Death to Life. Families may request a music setting from Respond and Acclaim, or another Catholic collection of Responsorial Psalms, so long as the text is an approved setting for liturgical use. Although many composers have composed songs or hymns which paraphrase some Psalm texts, paraphrase psalms are not used for liturgies at Holy Cross Catholic Church as they do not adhere to the lectionary text.
The Holy Cross Catholic Church Music Director is the pianist/organist and cantor for funerals at Holy Cross Catholic Church. Families may request other musicians to lead music for funerals as instrumentalists or cantors. These requests will be considered on a case by case basis by the Music Director.
Jason Phillips, Music Director
Other Music Selections
Families may select four hymns and one Responsorial Psalm for Funeral Liturgies at Holy Cross Catholic Church. In some cases, an additional music request may be included as a meditation selection following the Communion Hymn. In these cases, the music must still be selected from a Catholic Hymnal or other Catholic Music resource.
BB = Breaking Bread Hymnal OCP; G = Gather Hymnal GIA
- Be Not Afraid (B. Dufford) – BB #431
- Here I Am, Lord (D. Schutte) – BB #
- I Have Loved You (M. Joncas) – BB #602
- Rain Down (J. Cortez) – BB #600
- We Will Rise Again (D. Haas) – BB #439
- Psalm 23: Shepherd Me, O God (M. Haugen) – BB #457
- Psalm 25: To You O Lord (M. Haugen) – G #36
- Psalm 25: To You, O Lord (S. Soper) – BB #748
- Psalm 103: The Lord Is Kind and Merciful (M. Haugen) – G #100
- Psalm 103: Bless The Lord (Edward Walker) – BB #
- Psalm 27: The Goodness of The Lord (S. Soper) – BB #749
- Psalm 91: Be With Me, Lord (M. Joncas) – BB #783
Preparation of the Gifts
- Center of My Life (P. Inwood) – BB #488
- Eye Has Not Seen (M. Haugen)- BB #461
- Prayer of St. Francis (S. Temple) – BB #525
- You Are Mine (D. Haas) – BB #456
- Shelter Me, O God (B. Hurd) – BB #464
- Gift of Finest Wheat (R. Kreutz) – BB #322
- I Am the Bread Of Life (S. Toolan) – BB #327
- Miracle of Grace (C. Stephan) – BB #357
- One Bread, One Body (J. Foley) – BB #338
- Pan de Vida – (B. Hurd) – BB #
- Ubi Caritas (B. Hurd) – BB #326
- Amen, El Cuerpo De Cristo (J. Schiavone) BILINGUAL – BB #336
Final Commendation (Song of Farewell) [always sung during blessing of the body or the cremains]
- Saints of God (O Danny Boy Melody)
- Song of Farewell/Canto de Despedida (J. Cortez)
- Amazing Grace – BB #432
- How Great Thou Art (S. K. Hine) – BB #424
- Irish Blessing (B. Fabing SJ) – BB # 369
- I, The Lord (T. Kendzia)- BB #666
- On Eagle’s Wings (M. Joncas) – BB #436
- The Hand of God shall hold You – G #859
Additional songs NOTE: Choosing a song from this group will require a substitution from one of the other groups.
- Ave Maria (F. Schubert)
- Blest Are they (D. Haas) – BB #725
- Hail Mary, Gentle Woman – G #782
- The Servant Song (R. Gillard) – BB #386