Your family of God at Holy Cross welcomes you and your child. Baptizing your child testifies to your desire for him/her to live in full communion with the Catholic Church. The following requirements apply to parents wishing to have their child baptized at Holy Cross Catholic Church. Parents should prayerfully reflect on these steps to present their child for the sacrament and then call the parish office at 480-981-2021 to begin preparation for baptism.
Requirements for parent/s of the child being baptized:
- Newly registered members observe a three month waiting period, while they actively participate in the life of the Church at Holy Cross, before beginning preparation for infant baptism.
- Parents registered in a parish other than Holy Cross, but desiring to have their child baptized at Holy Cross, should call the parish office as soon as possible to schedule a welcoming discussion with the parish Baptism Coordinator. At this meeting, the Baptism Coordinator will go over the specific requirements for preparation for the sacrament.
- Parents are required to attend a Baptism preparation class unless otherwise determined by the Baptism Coordinator. The class may be taken at Holy Cross or at another location. If the class is not taken at Holy Cross, the parents must provide the Baptism Coordinator with a copy of proof of attendance. The date of class attendance will be discussed at the initial meeting with the Baptism Coordinator.
- Parents must present a copy of the child’s birth certificate at the meeting with the Baptism Coordinator. The certificate will be returned to the parents.
Requirements for godparents:
- The Catholic Church asks that there be one or two godparents. If there are to be two godparents, one must be male and the other female. A godparent must be a fully initiated (baptized, confirmed, and first Eucharistic), and a practicing Catholic at least 16 years of age. If married, in the Catholic Church by a priest or deacon. If single, the godparent must be living a celibate lifestyle. Godparents are asked to provide documentation (i.e. Holy Cross’ affidavit for the Ministry of Baptism) that they meet the requirements to serve as godparent .
- Godparents are required to attend a Baptism preparation class unless otherwise determined by the Baptism Coordinator
- Parents selecting only one godparent may have a Christian witness serve with the godparent. A Christian witness must be a non-Catholic, baptized Christian of a faith recognized by the Catholic Church.
Once all of the requirements are met, a date for the baptism will be arranged.
There is a $75 Donation Fee.
Contact Donna Macia at (480) 981-2021; ext. 209