Helpful Holiday Hints for Caregivers
11-25-2018On the Caregiving Journey…
The holidays can be very stressful for everyone including caregivers and care receivers. The Caregiver Alliance provides tips on how to handle holiday preparations and reduce stress. The following are some of their tips:
- Include your loved one in some of the preparations focusing on his/her strengths.
- When decorating, try to keep the clutter to a minimum to decrease confusion.
- Maintain the furniture arrangement to prevent disorientation and tripping and falling.
- Schedule the major activities earlier in the day leaving quieter activities, such as visiting with guests, for the latter part of the day when your loved one is more likely to be tired.
- Encourage family and friends to visit your loved one in his/her home during the holidays and not just at large, loud gatherings that inhibit personal communication.
For more tips and a holiday stress assessment for caregivers, go to www.caregiver.org/not-jolly-holiday-use-guide-find-gratitude-season.
BACK TO LIST